Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Stinting Lipids without Statins (V) - Correlation


My latest numbers from the sample draw last week are in and the chart now has 7 data points spanning 2 years 7 months and 12 days (957 days) with six distinct periods. In this edition of Stinting Lipids without Statins, I will list the conditions during each period, labeled A through F, and seek some correlation. I hope you will be able to extract your own conclusions which may help design your own lipid trajectory. (Click on chart to see larger image.)

Periods A and B were discussed in some detail as part of the Execution segment. To recap, during period A, I attempted to control my lipids without any supplements, relying only on attempted 'lifestyle changes', you can see that the attempt could hardly be called successful. With the threat of having to go Statin, during period B I took on Niacin, taking the dosage all the way to therap
eutic levels of 3 gms/day. Each lipid statistic took on the correct direction during period B. The sharp drop in triglycerides (TGl), however, should be attributed only partially to Niacin, I believe the bulk of that reduction came from weight loss. I started period B weighing 156 lbs (71 Kg) and ended it at 140 lbs (63.5 Kg); dropping the weight was a vehement instruction from my physician. FYI, I am 5'9" (175 cm) tall. I attribute my weight loss to frequent snacking of roasted chana, and the quarter tea-spoon of white bean powder before lunch and dinner. Yes, I used to carry the powder in a zip-lock pouch!

I was very encouraged as I started period C, albeit a bit alarmed at the sharp drop. I relaxed dosage across the board. Niacin dropped from 3gms/day down to 1gm/day; and Omega-3 caps from 1gm/day to an average couple of capsules irregularly over the week. The bean powder was taken only on instances when I expected a large carbohydrate intake. I ended period C gaining back 3 pounds weighing 143 lbs (65 Kg). Period C showed an increase in cholesterol, LDL and TGl - though my good HDL continued to improve, perhaps a residual effect of previous period's Niacin dosage. Fortunately, this period was only 2 months long, and I was able to take corrective action quickly.

Rather than writing it all out for each period, look at the table of key variables below:
If you look at this chart along side the lipid chart, it will appear that, in my case, Niacin dosage of 2gm/day with 2gm/day of Omega-3 will continue to deliver the desired results. 1.5 gm/day of Niacin (taken 3gm every alternate day) was not able to hold down the TGl, and a return to 2gm/day achieved the same reduction in period F as it did in D. While each of these variables, and the daily activity level are inter-related, Omega-3 at 2gm/day appears to correlate well with reducing LDL levels.

The Not-So-Good:
My Glucose levels are not coming down and I am now exploring natural ways - without total deprivation beyond what I have already instituted. While my HBA1C is right a the border at 6%, my fasting glucose is elevated - to 121 - again.

Have any of you been able to control glucose levels? One colleague suggests including as much as 35 gms of dietary fiber in the diet everyday - I can see doing that some days, but to do so every day will require some measured means that is palatable - I'm looking for suggestions!

I hope this has been helpful - do comment and if you feel others may benefit, click on the 'ShareThis' icon below to easily send a link using your preferred social medium!

Now on to other subjects!

Header Photo: Halfdome at Sunset from Glacier Point, taken Sept 7, 2006

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't kept as rigorous records, but my LDL has dropped from about 140 to 120 over the last 2-3 yrs, during which period I've switched to flaxseed meal in lieu of rice/roti at dinner most days. HDL seems mostly to react to an increase in exercise. No expertise with glucose or triglycerides.